Prepping, homesteading and living the simple, green, independent life.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Intro to Canadian Prepping

Hi all!

Thanks to Kymber for setting me up on the Canadian Preppers Network!

I’ve always had an interest in “survivalism” but was wary of the “extreme” elements involved, or at least how survivalism was presented in the media. I really wasn’t interested in owning dozens of firearms and was turned off by the “Rambo mentality” of some survivalists.

I’m not expecting to be overrun by fascist government zombie soldiers and I’m not too worried about the world ending in 2012. What I’m more concerned about is how my family would handle another ice storm like Eastern Ontario had in 1997 where we were without heat and power for weeks or if for some reason we had to get by on just one income.

A few months ago I found Jack Spirko’s “The Survivalist Podcast” and became hooked. His thoughts concerning “modern survivalism” and the “prepper” movement perfectly shaped the vague notions I had floating in my head and presented them in a organized way. At the Survival Podcast forums I finally found a group of people proposing sensible solutions to real-life problems.

The prepper movement is so versatile and “big tent” that it appeals to the hardcore survivalist, to the “treehuggers” to the stay-at-home mom. In fact, one thing that appealed to me is that so many women are not just becoming preppers; but they’re also becoming leaders in the community!

My goal is to do a post or two a week and I’ll cover things a young Canadian family like mine can do to take steps toward preparedness and independence including:

- debt repayments
- simple energy efficiency tips
- easy first prepping steps
- planning and building a new (semi) off-grid home

Being fairly new to prepping I’m hoping to document my progress on these topics and learn from the comments of other preppers.

For now I’ll leave you with my personal motto:

“If you don’t take control of your life, somebody else will.”

No comments:

Post a Comment